Playing High Definition Movies Through Your PS3’s Hard Drive
Normally, HD (720p and 1080p) movies are in matroska (.mkv) and the PS3 cannot read those types of format for playback.
Use mkv2vob to convert those files into readable format for the PS3.
Normally, if the .mkv file you have is encoded in a readable file already by the PS3, the software will easily convert the .mkv file through muxing in less than 10 minutes. But if it not readable, the software will automatically transcode it into readable format which will take longer depending on the quality that you want. (Highest quality H264 will take 12hours while the lowest Mpeg2 will be 3 hours). It also supports File Splitting.
Now you can transfer your files anyway you like. Note that external HDDs will require to be formatted into FAT32 for it to be recognized by the PS3.
For a more streaming specific software, you may want to try “Display Share” which can also stream .mkv files or PS3 Media Server via this the following link <click here for link>
Windows Media Player can also stream movies, but have trouble on media files 4gigs and up. Instructions located here:
<click here for link>
Media File Transfer
Who needs external Hard drives? That is just a big problem for the PS3 especially when you are transferring files more than 4gigs.
Scrap Tversity, Google Media, Red Kawa and other file and media servers. Use HFS.
It is by far the simplest and most effective way to link up your PC and PS3 via a Router with ease. Bypassing those 4gig external HDD limits and the like.
1. Download HFS then open it and if it does not update then that means you already have the up to date version.
2. Add your file or folder that you want to “share” in HFS.
3. Look up and you are going to see your computer’s IP address next to it. Take note of the IP address (It’s the IP address of your computer in the network).
4. Enter that IP adress into your PS3 internet browser and you should have access to the folders that you want to be share already.
5. Now you have two ways to see your media files. Stream it in your PS3 Internet browser using HFS or go to the name of your movie (put the cursor there) and hit triangle then go to file and save target as. It will then allow you to download the file you want to your PS3’s HDD via network. Convenience for the win!
For a more streaming specific software, you may want to try “Display Share” which can also stream .mkv files or PS3 Media Server located at this link <click here for link>
source: PPS website